Thursday, April 3, 2014

Horticulture Lessons

I Love New Experiences
If someone asks me to do something different, exciting or educational I'm in all in.
My dear friend called to see if I wanted to go to a nursery in Willard and make planters.  
We would go and choose the plants, plant them and then the nursery would lovingly care for them
until it is warm enough for them to go outside..
When we pick them up they are supposed to be beautiful baskets of flowers.
Of course, I wanted to do this.
I had never done it before and how fun would that be.

I'll have to admit it was a little overwhelming at first as I had to decide how many planters to do,
what size did I want them and then what flowers did I wish to plant in them.
So many questions and I was a total novice at this.
I always plant the same impatients, petunias, and lobelia every year.
There were hundreds of plants to choose from.
I'm sure they noticed the panicked look on my face and took pity on me.
I was taught how I wanted to combine tall plants, mounding plants, and trailing plants in my pots.
There are multiple colors of blooms to be chosen with each plant.
A purple flower should always go in a pot to make it "Pop".
I did realize there are shade plants and sun plants, but there are also
plants that can be in shade or sun if they have enough water.
Or plants that only need a few hours of sun and it can even be early morning sun.
So then I had to decide where I was going to put each pot that I did.
The decisions were overwhelming!!
Luckily they weren't life changing decisions for me, only for the plants.  
Here's some of my baskets when I finished planting.
There are tall plants, mounding plants and trailing plants all included.


My friend Rachelle hard at work. She had done this before, she was like an expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment