Thursday, February 27, 2014

Great to be the Grandma

As I spend time visiting with friends my same age who are pursuing advanced degrees, educating children at schools, or going into the business world each day, I wonder what I'm doing with my life.  I often feel bad that I haven't taken the time to pursue a career, but then at times like yesterday I'm so thankful that I get to be home so I can help my children and grandchildren when they are in need.

Yesterday Amy was scheduled to have a nerve block in her neck to help relieve the constant pain that she has been experiencing.  It was all worked out with a babysitter for her little ones and I would go with her to the hospital.  When she woke up in the morning her two year old Callie had spiked a fever and was definitely inflicted with influenza A, which her dad had been diagnosed with a few days earlier.  Knowing she couldn't take her to the babysitter and expose her family to the flu, we regrouped and I brought Callie with us.  Amy had to go in by herself, assuring the hospital that there would be someone to drive her home after the procedure.  Of course, as everything goes with Amy it was more "Invasive" than originally planned and she was in horrible pain when I picked her up a few hours later.  We gathered the other kids from the babysitter and I brought them all to my home.  Within an hour of returning home her 4 month old baby spiked a fever and we now had two with the flu.  I spent the day cuddling sick children, entertaining Blake who was still healthy, and worrying about Amy and the pain she was experiencing.  As I returned them all to their home last night after Luke came home from work, I had to offer a silent prayer that I was so so thankful I could be there for them on this day.  I also had to add that I was grateful that I was just the Grandma instead of the Mom.  I realize I raised 5 wonderful children and we had awful and trying days too,  BUT I admire these young moms more than ever and realize that the plan to have children when you are young is a Heavenly Plan because I couldn't do it anymore.  I love my role as grandma and I enjoy each of these grandkids so much, but how nice to know I can drop them off at the end of the day to the constant care of their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment